Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Week 4:  Post #1
I started using Goodreads in September of 2012 because it was a requirement for one of my Clarion courses.  Since that time, I try to add as many books as possible (that I'm able to recall).  I enjoy using Goodreads, not only for logging my favorite picks, but for many of the "extras" that are helpful for any avid reader. 

Goodreads seems intuitive.   I list and rate books I have read and Goodreads creates a listing of books that match my appeal factors. I have been pleasantly surprised to find recommendations that are very similiar to the books I choose to read.  I decided on two summer reads-Defending Jacob by W. Landy and Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes based on recommendations from Goodreads. 

Listed in Most Popular this Month (Explore) are Golden Boy, The Perfume Collector and The World's Strongest Librarian.  There is a short, well written summation of each novel and I find this helpful when choosing my reads.  Top Reviews of the Week are great for anyone interested in learning to write reviews.  The active voice, action verbs and quick snapshot of plot are great examples for the budding reviewer. 

Several other features I find helpful are the author biographies, award winners by category, quotes and videos specific to each genre. 

At times I do find the page layout to be busy as I tend to like pages that have more white space.  This would be tough to accomplish on Goodreads as it is designed as a one stop shop for people who love books.  If you enjoy an online environment of conversing with others about books you have read and books you wish to read, this is  the place for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment